Hey! Hope y’all had a great 4th. I can’t believe it’s already half way through the year; I won’t start Ironman-specific training until closer to December, but will build up to a half distance (Oilman) in November. I don’t have a specific training plan yet, but I’ve heard from many people not to burn out by starting training a full year before!
Trainer = Mental Pain
However, I do want to start preparing myself for the time crunch and rigor or Ironman training. I recall feeling swamped during half ironman training from endless loads of laundry, being hungry at all times (eating lots of packaged food & granola bars), and feeling overall tired. So I want to do a few things to make things efficient and support my training as well as making sure I’m not wasting time that could be spent with family & friends. Some of my non-training related ideas are to prep for IM are:
- Learn 3 or 4 go-to slow cooker recipes
- Organize 2 gym bags (one work, one home/swim) with everything I need for workouts (goggles, make-up, etc.)
- Get a few extra laundry hampers for at home and get a system going for dirty athletic gear & towels <— sounds silly but laundry is intense!!
- Pack car with emergency supplies in case I forget stuff (shoes, socks, old swim gear, granola bars, drink mix, etc.)
- Stock up on a couple more swimsuits, chlorine shampoo/conditioner, swim ear and sunscreen
SpringSummer Cleaning: a good house clean out and trip to Goodwill always helps de-clutter life.
Does anyone else have tips for making life easier during Ironman training? Or even favorite recipes?