I’m once again participating in CETR’s #EnduranceFoodies blog carnival, and for May, the theme is BBQ/picnic meals. BBQ meals was a perfect suggestion, since I had a recipe I was going to post for you all shortly anyway! Remember my 30th birthday party in the park? We cooked one of my favorite meals: Shish-ka-bobs, a family favorite from my Grandma in California. It’s really, really, easy, and something fun to serve a large group.
In fact, I love this dish so much that it was our wedding meal; we cooked everything ourselves and it was a hit. Served along with brown rice and salad with Asian ginger-sesame dressing – yum!
The recipe below can be adapted to however many people you might be serving, so I left exact amounts of protein/veggies out. All veggies are optional, but having pineapple in (the lone fruit) is necessary!
Grandma Susie’s Shish-ka-bobs
- Marinade: 1/4c of each: White Vinegar, Soy Sauce, Vegetable (or other) oil, Worcestershire Sauce, Sugar
- Protein Suggestions: Chicken or tofu (tofu might be more easily grilled on foil)
- Veggie + Fruit Suggestions: zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, pineapple
Directions: Cut foods into bite-size pieces (see pictures above). Whisk marinade together, then marinate protein & veggies separately, for 6+ hours. My parents use the tupperware shown below which is ideal since it flips upside down:
If you don’t have something that flips, be sure to stir occasionally as the marinade may separate. Once finished marinating, put each food on a separate skewer (this is important as the foods cook at separate rates, so best to do one onion skewer, one tomato skewer, etc.). Save some marinade for brushing on protein/veggies while grilling. Grill, rotating skewers continuously and brushing with marinade. Serve with brown rice or grilled corn and salad.
Check out what’s on tap with the other #EnduranceFoodie blogs (below) for May. They’ll be updating their blogs as the week goes on. Enjoy!
- Donna – Beating Limitations
- Meg – Gillmer Girl
- Clare – Maple Syrup And Me
- Lindsay – Cotter Crunch
- Adrienne – Six Kick Switch
- Courtenay – Twitter (Jason will post the recipe)
- Ann – Anns Running Commentary