I’m kind of obsessed with polenta lately – this stuff is so much easier to cook than I imagined! Just boil water in a 3:1 ratio with the polenta, and stir it in slowly. So easy. I’ve been making variations of CTER’s Polenta Baked Eggs, and I think I found my favorite way to eat it, which is over sautéed kale. You can serve it on the side, but if you get brave enough transfer it on top of the kale it’s the best way to eat it, even if it looks terrible. Runny egg over greens + red sauce = mmmmm.
Polenta Baked Eggs over Kale (serves 2)
- 1.5 c vegetable broth
- 0.5 c polenta
- 1/4 t dried basil
- 1/4 t dried parsley
- salt & pepper
- 1/2-1 c red sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 T olive or grapeseed oil
- 1 chopped leek
- 1/2 bunch chopped kale & broccoli
- Pre-heat oven to 400deg
- Bring water/broth to boil, then add polenta slowly stirring, reduce heat and continue to stir. Add spices and salt/pepper to taste.
- Add polenta to two small baking dishes (see pictures). Create hole in middle, add red sauce, crack egg on top, then add more red sauce and pepper if desired.
- Bake in oven 15 – 20 minutes (check as your baking time may vary depending on the “doneness” of your egg)
- While baking, sauté leek in oil, then add broccoli, then greens. Transfer egg & polenta over greens – this will likely be messy.
Note: I tried using parchment paper to pull out polenta, but it didn’t work well. Also, this can be a light meal for two or a bigger post-workout meal for one.
Onto training: I’ve been biking a ton (just because I love it), but I mentioned awhile back I’m doing the Esprit de She 10k on May 9th. That’s only a month away, so I better start thinking about some speed work! I’m looking forward to meeting some other Houston bloggers like fellow Body Pumper and speedy runner Rachael, who is doing the 5k. If you’re thinking about racing it, sign up here and let me know! I’d love to meet more athletic ladies from Houston.
The organizers have offered to do an Athleta visor giveaway – check out the super cute visor below!! I’m actually a little jealous, I wouldn’t mind one myself Looks like it would be great for tennis, running, or just post-bike ride. If you win, Esprit de She will send it straight to your address at no cost. And I can’t guarantee the color, but all of them on the website are cute.
If you want to win one (there are 3 up for grabs), just leave a comment below telling me what your favorite running race distance is, or just comment. I’ll pick three lucky winners. Mine is probably a half marathon – moderately fast with a good sprint to the finish. Anything less is too hard! Entries close Sunday April 14th.