My favorite way to start Saturdays lately is with a long run + abs, followed by post-run pancakes and a crossword puzzle. This morning it was a 8-mile run with my good friend Amanda at a pretty quick sub-9:00 pace (quick for me!). I cooled down with some ab work: 2 minutes toe-touches, 20 pilates circles both directions, 1 minute scissor kicks, 2x 30 second plank with toe taps, side plank 30 seconds each side, and some reverse crunches for back strengthening. And then it was time for breakfast:
Basic Costco Produce Green Juice (serves 2)
I bought a bunch of produce from in bulk from Costco (Costco is a juicer’s dream!) to make this concoction:
- 4-5 stalks celery
- 1 head romaine
- 1 green apple (pear is very good too)
- 1 large cucumber
- 1 knob ginger
I paired the juice with Morning Glory Pancakes, adapted from Bobbi McCormick’s blog (and referenced as originally from Crazy Sexy Kitchen). I really liked the cake-like texture of the pancakes; they were very much like cornbread! I also thought the coconut oil gave them some nice flavor. David still likes my normal protein pancakes better, but I’ll be happy to make this recipe again.
Vegan Cornbread Pancakes (serves 2)
- 1 cup of oat flour (throw in a cup of oats into a blender and process until flour)
- 1/2 c cornmeal
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 flax eggs (2 T ground flax+ 6 T water, mixed and set for 5-10 mins.)
- 2 T agave or other sweetner (optional)
- 1 mashed banana
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 t vanilla
- coconut oil or cooking spray
1. Mix together all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
2. Mash banana in separate bowl. Add flax egg and other wet ingredients to bowl, except for coconut oil. Whisk and pour wet into dry and mix. Let batter rest for 10 minutes.
3. Melt a pat of coconut oil on the pan. Pour 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake and flip after 2 minutes, then cook 2 more minutes. Makes 4-5 pancakes. Enjoy!