I went to bed last night with a good excited/butterflies feeling in my stomach… I just signed up for a 1/2 Ironman! It feels great to be stepping into the unknown.
First things first, my goals for this tri:
- No time goal. Period. This will be a hilly course and away from home; I don’t want to add excess stress.
- That being said, I do want to ROCK this tri and feel strong, for me.
- Have fun – I hope I’m smiling throughout the race and enjoying what is beautiful Texas Hill Country
- Enjoy the journey and follow a training program. I fully expect to be changing the schedule weekly, but not to slack.
So speaking of training programs, there are lots out there, but I decided a 16-week plan would be about right for me, since I already have some background in all three disciplines. This free Amateur Endurance Half Ironman 16 week plan fit the bill. I noticed that other bloggers used this plan for their first HIM, so it was probably doable.
I wanted to incorporate the following into my plan:
- an Olympic tri
- M/W tri swim training
- Houston Fit Tues hill/track workouts & Saturday AM runs
- A couple of weekend vacations (Austin & Chi-town!)
So I came up with this google doc (use the link for a better view):
Pink days are rest days or potential travel, not much rest, huh? I’ll try to keep a recap of the training each week. So far I’m already on week 2 and it’s been crazy, so stay tuned for more.